POST AUTHOR: RACHEL
This past weekend, my husband and I tried our luck in our second chili competition. Last year, in this same cook off, our White Chicken Chili recipe WON!! So, of course, we needed a new dish to knock the judge's socks off and would keep our championship title alive.
Our chili made quiet the impression again this year but, unfortunately, we didn't hold onto our title. It was still a fan favorite though and we took second place with a delicious new recipe! Here's the game changer with this chili - we used elk meat. It was incredibly flavorful and had everyone talking.
Not only did this recipe take second place, it's also super easy to make! My mom always uses 2 Alarm Chili Kit, which has all the seasonings already measured out so all you have to do is mix it together, add a few mixin's and VOILA!
1. Brown ground elk or beef. Drain fat.
2. Add water, tomato sauce, kidney beans, diced tomatoes with green chilies, bell pepper, onion, celery and jalapeño, and the 2 Alarm Chili kit seasoning packets except packets labeled “Red Pepper” and “Masa”. If you like spicy, stir in the whole packet of red pepper, but if you like your chili a bit more mild, use just half of the packet.
3. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. For thicker chili, stir masa packet into 1/4 cup warm water. Stir into chili and simmer for another 15 minutes.
5. Top with Fritos, sour cream, grated cheese, more jalapeños or whatever suits your fancy!
Sign up for our quarterly newsletter!