I don't know about you, but when I find something that makes studying the bible understandable and applicable, I cling to it and implement it every time I read it. I don't want to just read the bible, I want to understand it and apply it. So, when my church started a women's bible study, I was excited to grow with other believers and to push each other to new heights. I was even more excited when we started using the Swedish Method for studying the bible. It is so easy to follow and I always walk away from studying a portion of the bible with a greater understanding than if I were to simply read it. So with that being said, I wanted to share it with you!
1) Light bulb - What is something new or fresh that shines from this passage? What stood out to you? Through reading the bible, God often reminds us of things we've forgotten and opens our hearts and eyes to something we've never noticed.
2) Question Mark - Did these verses raise any questions as you read? Search for the answers. Digging deep helps cement the word in our hearts.
3) Cross - Where do you see Jesus Christ in these verses? What in this passage helped you see more of Jesus and His cross, or what moved you to love Him more?
4) Arrow - How can you personally apply this to your life? Can you identify and commit to something you sense the Spirit is leading you to do in obedience to this text?
5) Speech Bubble - What do you see in this passage that you want to share with someone? Who do you want to share it with?
6) Puzzle Piece - Why are these verses in the Bible? Why is this passage in this particular book of the Bible? What might the Bible lose if this passage was left out? What is the authors main point?
I love this image because it makes the steps easy to remember! I like to write the questions out, but others like to draw the symbols. There is no right or wrong here, it's whatever works for you.
If you find yourself in a rut with your quiet time, give the Swedish Method a shot. I hope you will walk away refreshed, renewed, fulfilled and with greater understanding of the scriptures.
Sign up for our quarterly newsletter!